REVIEW: Up at the O2

AYE
Another exciting post!
(why does that sound so sarcastic, this genuinely is exciting... for me anyway!)

Again, we all know I love an challenge, so when my Dad suggested he would buy me a chance to climb over the O2 for my birthday/Christmas/who knows, I jumped at the chance!

For those not in London/living under a rock, the O2 is this great building, which kind of looks like a big tent but has huge gigs, events and places to eat inside. Here's a picture of it from kind of above, looks kind of unsafe to stand on top of, eh?




I'll be honest. I was pretty nervous about this. I know you wouldn't expect it from someone who at the time was signed up to do a skydive in 2 months, but heights make me a bit uneasy. I'm not scared of them, they just put me on edge. I get scared at the tops of ladders. I've been stuck in our playroom shed loft for about half an hour because I got too scared to sort of turn around backwards to go round the ladder. shudder. 

Before you go in there's a little video about how to be safe, as is so standard on challenge-type activities these days. You get to wear a really attractive jumpsuit that makes you look like you've escaped from the nearest cell block. You also get the harness which makes you feel like you've wet yourself, some fancy shoes* and one of those clampy clip things that names I don't quite know.... (I googled it, it's a carabiner)

*not fancy 

I'm not gonna lie to you, it is hard work. Unfortunately I didn't have my GoPro then and Betty (my camera) was too big to carry up with me, but I do have a few pictures from up the top.




ANYWAY,
You use the Carabiner to attach yourself to like a rope pull, which of course ensures that you won't go hurtling towards the ground but also helps yourself pull yourself up/help yourself down. The walkway is the weirdest thing to walk on, it's like a spongy trampoline. As you can see from the above picture, the walkway is cordoned off, like some sort of high in the air red carpet, thats actually blue. But what you don't see in this picture is where it appears to be the end of the walkway it actually sharply declines, at probably about 30 degrees. Don't sound like much but on this weird surface it makes it even harder.


It is absolutely incredible though. I would definitely recommend it to everyone. It is panoramic views across London, and the instructors are really lovely. I had to change my shoes a couple of time as I always come up different sizes, and they were super accommodating.



We went at night, but you can do it all through the day. I'd really love to do it again during the day so I can see across the capital city in light. But seeing it all let up really was spectacular. What you can't see because we're, so thoughtfully, blocking it out, its the whole of Canary Wharf aka all the business buildings. You can also see the building where the interviews of THE APPRENTICE are filmed!!! *FANGIRL MOMENT*. Once you get to the top it's like a solid platform, and there are no glass panels or anything up to block out the view, it's all there for you to see! And the instructors are happy to take pictures of you and the all sorts. 

Overall it lasts around 90 minutes altogether, you do get a decent enough time on the top to have a look round, it doesn't feel rushed at all. It's around 52m (170 ft, gulp) at the highest point. 

So what are you waiting for?
DO IT!

1 comments

  1. Wow! amazing! doing it at night sounds so cool because all the lights are on and so beautiful I can imagine! Really nice experience!
    Jade x

    ReplyDelete