Sssssshhhh.... Skin Secrets

Hehehe, being all sneaky and like 007 spilling my top secrets on how I keep my skin looking like a 22 year olds... Oh wait.

I kid, I kid.
FarFetch asked me to share my skincare secrets so I thought it would be interesting for me to share with all you lovely guys and gals about how I look after my skin... my Mum always says 'look after your skin, you only get one lot'




First things first (I'm the realest), if you've read any of my other posts, you know I'm not one to spend extra time sorting oneself out, when it could be spent in bed. I also hate spending money on things to clean my face, put on my face... things I can't eat.

So yes, this might seem like a bit of an odd post for me?
But I know a lot of people are, well, lazy about skincare and don't know what products to use, and where to splash out! So I'm doing a sort of wish list about products I'm looking to step up to (from my Primarni buys) when my bank balance allows, as well as some top tips about getting the clear face from the start that you might not know about!

Mels top tips for how you can keep your skin feeling fresh and clear:

- Drink a lot of water. 
I know, I know. This one is a bit obvious, but I think it often gets lost within all these fancy beauty products. I drink a lot of water. As I've said in a previous post I drink gallons of it - and love flavouring it with all different types of fruit! I do attribute the fact that most of the time I do have clear skin to this, it certainly makes me feel fresher!

- Blast the cold water
I love a hot shower. I cannot physically force myself into a cold shower. Even in Greece when it was over 40 degrees I had to have a warm shower - it's like a nice comforting hug. But it ain't so good for your skin unfortunately. Every shower I have especially if I'm washing my hair I try to finish the shower with about 30 seconds of ice cold water. It makes my hair feel a lot softer and my skin doesn't seem quite as dry when I do this.



- Face map
We all get it. We all get those times were our face breaks out and we just don't know why (hello... I'm in the middle of this right now) and it's hard to fix something if you don't know why it's broken! So what I do now is I go and Face Map - this is a simplified version of it but I find it really helps. It tells you what is likely to have caused your breakout dependant on where your spots are. I really like doing this, as most of the time I can go 'ah yeah, I did have a pizza last week' or 'yeah, it is getting to that time...' and it makes me realise what I can do to fix it.

- Banana and honey(z)
Lol. This is a bit of a funny one. When I was at Uni I had some soft bananas and didn't know what to do with them; I found out a banana and honey face/hair mask is great for everything. So I went and borrowed some honey and mashed it all up in a bowl. It looked like I'd vommed on myself. Left it on my hair and went to wash it out - it clogged the shower and stuck to my hair - it wasn't much fun going to Uni the next day with bits of banana stuck in my hair. But my hair felt soft! Just blend it properly.

Things I want to buyyyy:

Now it's coming up to summer, we all want to feel comfortable enough in our own skin to go out on the beach without 10 layers of thick foundation and powder covering up our face. We want to have that fresh summer glow that makes our skin radiate happiness.



1. This cleanser from Algenist is great for using to wipe off all your clobber from a hard day in the office. It will refresh your skin, and give your skin a good old deep spring clean. I suffer from oily and dry skin, and this product contains Witch Hazel which will stop my skin (and yours) getting all dried out after cleaning. This means that a lot of the hard work gets done with one simple product, eliminating any extra work, that's a winner from me!

2. I have the driest lips. When I was in Lapland we were warned before that our lips would suffer - and we couldn't have any products that contained water (as it might freeze on our face when it got cold, OUCH) which made the job of finding products and buying them a lot more difficult. sigh. This lip balm from Queen Bee doesn't contain any water so it will definitely be on my list when if I get to go again. It contains honey which is extra soothing on dry lips and will help repair them to a luscious state again! AND you know how you never make it to the bottom of a lip balm container before you use it? This one is shaped like a lipstick which means I should be able to hold onto it a bit better! (where do all the lost lipbalms go? Is there a separate planet for them? Are they just floating around the universe?)

3. To be completely honest - I'm just intrigued about this product. It's called Shimmering Skin Perfector and it's by Becca. It's a bit like a tinted moisturiser, which means that it won't feel too heavy on your face during the hot weather, but will still give you a bit of coverage and won't dry out your skin. It also claims to even out skin tone, which is great if like me your skin seems to span between a thousand different shades. When I was in Greece I used Natural Collection Tinted Moisturiser as I still needed some coverage, and it worked a treat. So in the process of attempting to upgrade my skincare/make up routine I think this would be a perfect step up - especially at this time of the year!


There we have it, my top skin care tips and how I want to upgrade my routine!

What are your top tips? Have you ever tried any of mine?

2 comments

  1. I have bad patches of skin where I get heaps of hormonal spots, so I use a lavender and chamomile cream (just a plain face moisturiser with a few drops of lavender and chamomile oils dripped in) and it helps to calm down the redness and the lavender stops the spots from drying out and is antiseptic.
    I also make a natural salt scrub from sea salt, some bicarbonate of soda and a bit of water and smooth it on every evening to get rid of dead skin cells and clogged pores. I'm not a big person for cleansing, toning and moisturising twice a day, so I apply bog standard witch hazel in the morning and then use Avon's Clearskin Professional cleanser, toner and moisturiser in the evening post shower.
    I have a really oily patch of skin on my nose, so I use Avon's black pore clay mask a couple of times a week and it really helps keep the oil under control and stops blackheads forming. It dries to grey when it's ready to be washed off, and you can see all the impurities from your skin on the mask surface when it's dry! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me feel so bad haha, I was impressed when I remembered to take my make up off! That Avons mask sounds great though, I have a dry/oily nose (how is that even a thing?!) and I love face masks! Might have to give it a try! :)

      Thanks for the comment :) xxx

      Delete