A Year Out of Uni

I literally cannot believe I'm writing this post.

Today - celebrates exactly one year out of education. Like what? I've been an 'adult' for a whole year now...?

Still think I'm 18.

ANYWAY





I spent my University life at two different Uni's, I did a Foundation Degree at The BRIT School in Croydon, and then did the final year at University of Arts London: London College of Communication campus.

Now it's the like anniversary of being free from education and I'm back in the house with my Mum, it's easy to think that I have gone backwards, wasted £53,000 on a degree I'm not using right now. But that is definitely not the case, and here's the things you need to remember when you're in a similar situation! I have already written a post about whether I think Uni was worth it - but this is gonna be full of positivity...wooooooo.

- Remember it's fine to go back home
For me, it's that there's no point paying £600+ a month in rent at London if I don't have a job there. I still pay rent at home, but it's nowhere near London haha. I also have a perfectly good job at home which is related to my degree in some way, so it's not like I'm doing nothing. I think even if you have ended up working at Tescos after your degree, that is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. As long as you are happy!! Don't take any notice of what anybody else says about you, I've been called a failure by my brother (brother bants eh) but I am moving forwards. If you're not where you want to be thats fine, but you should be trying to get where you are.

- Remember to never give up
Like I said, just make sure you have an aim and you're heading towards it however you can. Don't get bogged down on what you're not doing and remember what you are or have done. For example, it's easy for me to feel like I haven't done anything since Uni - but I HAVE! I lived in Greece for 5 months and worked abroad both there and in Lapland. I have landed a job, and regularly go for interviews whilst staying positive in my job hunt. It's fine to take a break after Uni, it's a stressful few years and I said to everybody if I had stayed in London and hadn't got out I would have ended up resenting it even more which would have made me hate my job.

- Don't listen to what other people/adults say
How many times have I asked when I'm getting a new job? When I'm going back to London? What I'm doing with my life? Ah man. They're only asking because they're actually interested. Of course there's always some people who are convinced your not trying to move up, or get what you want to do, but who cares? People will always judge, as long as you're happy with what you're doing then who gives a shiny shimmering snake?

- It's OK to change your mind
I know people that have studied at Uni which has changed their mind on what they want to do with their life. Of course that's okay. After studying something it's only human nature to possibly feel fed up with it, or bored. Like who cares? I still want to work in what I went to Uni in but Uni hasn't helped me get anywhere at all, so it's just as much of a 'waste'. As long as you enjoyed Uni then it wasn't a waste.



BASICALLY - What I'm saying in this post is 'Do what you love, don't care what anybody says and just keep going'.

Some people do get their dream job straight from Uni, and that is bloody brilliant. But not everybody does and to be honest moving back home is quite common.

Did you go to University? How are you doing since graduating or feeling about graduating?

1 comments

  1. I absolutely loved this post! I'm about to enter my third year of uni and I know it will go super quick! I often think about whether uni was worth it but you're 100% right, if you enjoyed it then of course it was worth it! xx

    ReplyDelete