Positivity in Job Hunting

I am finally starting to struggle with this now. Don't get me wrong, I have a great job at the moment, I enjoy it, the people there are lovely and it is semi related to my degree.

But I want to do something more with my degree.

I've written about my job hunt before, and how I keep on top of it. But I thought it would be important to write a post about how I don't get disheartened about it, even though I do. But you know.





I know a lot of people and bloggers that are a similar age to me, have just finished University and are in that horrible type of limbo where they wish they were back in education (or is it just me?). Don't get me wrong, I don't miss the boring lectures, the living with mice or constant deadlines. But I do kind of miss learning things, no pressure to be constantly looking for work wah. So I thought it would be good to remind everyone that even though you're still job hunting there is no need to be disheartened!

I keep on top of the jobs I've applied for, as I discussed in my job hunt post. When I apply for a job, I forget about it, assume I haven't got it and move onto the next one. The chart helps me if I ever need to see if I've already applied, have spoken to the interviewee before or if I need to get in to contact with someone again.

In discounting the jobs as soon as I apply for them it doesn't allow me anytime to get my hopes up. I assume that I haven't got it straight away and leave it at that. I guess one of the 'problems' with the Media Industry and looking for jobs (I don't really know about any other industry) is that if you apply and don't get it - you're unlikely to get a 'sorry we didn't choose you' email, or even any response at all. I've even heard of people not being contacted after an interview to say they hadn't got it, which I could imagine leaves you hanging big time. I find it a lot harder not to get my hopes up once I've gone for an interview - especially if I really liked it there. I end up looking at flats on the SpareRoom app, half being hopeful and half being nosy. And then when I get that email saying that I wasn't what they were looking for this time it's like the world crashes down. Once I got that email just as I was about to start a spinning session - I find it hard enough to stay motivated through them as it is!

Another thing I find really useful when dealing with rejections, is remembering it's nothing personal. It's probably not because they thought you were a horrible person or are never going to get the break in the industry. It just means they didn't think you were right for the job. Be it that you didn't gel with them enough, you didn't have enough experience or something wasn't quite right. Try not to take it to heart.



Remember what my Mum always says to me, 'If it was meant to be, it would be' which she says every time I get that rejection email. There is obviously a reason why I didn't get the job, and if there is a reason not to have it, then I'm better off not having it? Right? I don't know how to word that without sounding bitter, I'm honestly not. The right job will come along and there won't be any reason not to go for it.

Don't let previous rejections or problems stop you from giving your next interview your all. Because there will be a next, there will be a job. But there won't be if you leave the previous cloud hanging over your head for the next interview! So forget, and moooooove on.

I really hope that this post has helped you to stay positive 

4 comments

  1. You're so right. I would love to go back to school to learn more but that requires money which in turn requires a job but it's hard to get a job with what degree you have! This was a lovely post. You're so right in saying you need to remember rejection isn't personal. (:

    Single Vegas Girl
    http://singlevegasgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. I'm 24 now, and I'm seriously considering going back to school, but I have no idea what I would like to study because all the careers that I'm interested in are not a good choice in the long term. I've got Accounting as a last resort, but 4 years study interferes with my plan of having kids before I turn 30, bah! I hate applying for jobs because the idea of not getting a response at all demotivates me, and any rejections get me really bummed out.

    Stephii Mattea xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mel, That is such a positive and inspiring message - thanks for sharing it with everyone because it would appear you're not the only one going through this. But thank you for inspiring the rest of us to persevere.

    Lindsay,
    www.faithfullyme.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really sympathise with fresh graduates as it's such a difficult time when you're adjusting to 'adult life' and then have the pressure of a job hunt on top of that. It's a really good idea to stop thinking about what you've applied for once the email has been sent. Also important to remember that it won't be that way forever. I've been out of uni for four years now and am back to job hunting after travelling. Once you have a little experience you can afford to be picky and turn down things that aren't right for you. It's such a good feeling :)
    www.moonandforest.co.uk

    ReplyDelete